English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Today in my city, it's raining very slowly. What is this called in English?.

I am from India. In Hindi we say 'Rimjhim'. What is it called in English?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by tchrist, J.R., Marthaª, RegDwigнt Aug 15 '12 at 22:35

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

See also What kind of rain is “sprinkles”? – Cameron Aug 15 '12 at 19:16
up vote 18 down vote accepted

We use the words "drizzling" or "sprinkling" here.

They both mean "to rain or let fall in fine drops"

If it's very, very light rain, you can use the word "mist". "Drizzling" usually implies a little harder rain than "sprinkling".

share|improve this answer
British English doesn't use sprinkling as a verb, preferring spitting instead. We may have a sprinkling of light rain, though. – Andrew Leach Aug 15 '12 at 19:29
It's very common in American English. I've never heard "spitting" to describe rain (never been to Britain either). – American Luke Aug 15 '12 at 19:36

Have you looked up the synonyms for rain in a thesaurus, like here for example?

The normal answer is sprinkle at first, or maybe drizzle if it persists or is a bit heavier.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.