English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I understand the ball of a foot is where the toes join with the rest of the foot. But I don't think it looks like a ball. Why is it called a "ball"?

share|improve this question
Did you read the faq? – MετάEd Aug 14 '12 at 3:37

Actually it is because it looks like a ball. It is fairly prominent in this image*:

enter image description here

The ball of the foot is: "The padded portion of the sole of the human foot between the toes and the arch, on which the weight of the body rests when the heel is raised."

*Image from http://www.drcomfort.com/your-feet/ball

share|improve this answer
Thanks! Which part is called the toe, the part below the big toe, or the part below the five toes? The former looks partially like a ball, but the latter doesn't. BTW: when measuring foot size, the measurement for ball is the circumference for the borderline between all five toes and the arch, which suggests the ball is the part below five toes. – Tim Aug 14 '12 at 6:07
@Tim, did you mean to ask which part is called the ball? You are right, it's the part below all five toes. As the definition I cited says, it is the part on which your body weight rests when the heel is raised. However, it is named for the largest metatarsal bone that looks like a ball. visual.merriam-webster.com/human-being/anatomy/skeleton/… – JLG Aug 14 '12 at 13:45
Yes, I meant ball. Thanks! – Tim Aug 14 '12 at 14:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.