English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I got a book titled Self-study vocabulary practice. Can I replace self-study with self-education?

Does it make sense to use self-learning in the statement of above?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Here are some examples that you might find useful:

  1. I am educating myself
  2. I am an autodidact
  3. Self-study often leads to rapid but shallow knowledge acquisition
  4. While trying to educate myself about the benefits of self-study, I found that "self-education" and "self-learning" are short-circuited and incorrect terms.

In summary: Self-study is the acceptable term; the other choices that you mention are probably not what you want to use.

share|improve this answer
If you are going to suggest a word like autodidact, it is probably important to mention that almost nobody will recognize the word or know what it means. – Kosmonaut Jan 2 '11 at 19:41
@Kosmonaut: I agree with what you say, though I note for the interested few, that speakers of German might easily understand what autodidact means (I have often heard some of them use Autodidakt). – Suvrit Jan 3 '11 at 17:28

Self-study is the standard word to use here, not self-education or self-learning. Also, education usually refers to something broader or more long-term.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.