English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any English (or in other languages) word for a place where students of different colleges discuss about activities (events, reputation) of their colleges/universities

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Jasper Loy, Matt E. Эллен, Robusto, tchrist, kiamlaluno Aug 17 '12 at 11:52

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Bar? Park? Dorm? Basement? Riverbank? You have to be more precise. – RegDwigнt Aug 6 '12 at 9:40
In above places are common not specfic to student and in dorm they may discuss other things. As in case of conference on specific topic where people discuss only about the agenda of conference – Zia Aug 6 '12 at 9:47
My point exactly: nothing prevents a conference from taking place in a bar or on a riverbank. Where does your conference take place? – RegDwigнt Aug 6 '12 at 9:57
Readers are understanding you to be asking the name for a space permanently assigned this function; are you perhaps asking what name you should give a space temporarily assigned it, eg for the duration of a conference? – StoneyB Aug 6 '12 at 11:51
It is a permanent place. – Zia Aug 6 '12 at 14:49
up vote 4 down vote accepted

If by "place" you are referring to a building, perhaps you're referring to the Student Union.

Of course, just about anything can be "discussed" anywhere on a college campus, but the Student Union is often the "hub" of various extracurricular activities.

According to Wikipedia:

In higher education, the student union is often accorded its own building on the campus, dedicated to social and organizational activities of the membership. In the United States, student union many times only refers to a physical building owned by the university with the purpose to provide services for students without a governing body also referred to as a student activity center.

The Wikipedia article also mentions that usage of the term "Student Union" varies widely from country to country, so that might not be an apt answer in some regions of the world. I recommend reading through the article for more information. But in the U.S.:

In the U.S., the phrase "student union" often refers to a "student activity center" (also known as a "student center" or "student commons"), a building with dining halls, game rooms, lounges, student offices, and other spaces for student activities.

If by "place" you are referring to a room, that might be called any of the following:

  • a meeting room
  • a conference room
  • a student lounge
  • a general-purpose room

Which of those terms is most appropriate might depend on the furniture, and the arrangement of those furnishings. It's hard to tell for certain, but I think student lounge might be the term you're after.

share|improve this answer
What if we have a physical room and we want to name that room where student meet and discuss college related activities – Zia Aug 6 '12 at 9:55
@Zia: I'd probably call that a conference room, a meeting room, or perhaps a general-purpose room, depending on its size, and the arrangement of the furniture. I've edited my answer. – J.R. Aug 6 '12 at 9:59
I agree if students were from the same college, but OP seems to want a word where students of different colleges meet. I don't think he means different colleges of the same university. – bib Aug 6 '12 at 13:23
@bib: I initially interpreted the question as just that: students from different colleges within the same university (i.e., some locale that might answer, "Where are those studying liberal arts likely to meet with the engineers?"). But subsequent comments made me wonder if the OP is trying to organize a conference of some sort. It's hard to tell for sure what's being asked. – J.R. Aug 6 '12 at 13:45
Yes I want student from different university to get together and talk. student lounge looks good but it would be better if i could find single word – Zia Aug 6 '12 at 14:48

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.