English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for books that contains photos of paintings and/or statues, historical buildings. These books are typically used as a sort of art gallery on high-quality paper, but I don't know the specific name in the English language.

share|improve this question

In the industry they're called "art books", but everyone actually calls them "coffee-table books".

(Because people leave them on their coffee tables -- the long, low table in front of the couch -- to make guests think they're cultured.)

share|improve this answer
Are you slightly biased im saying that? I'm joking, I know that such books are rarely even browsed through after getting them, I have a whole sheld of them and I don't remember when I last opened one... – Paola Aug 5 '12 at 1:23
@Paola -- maybe I can't prove what the books are really used for but what other purpose do they serve? Have you ever been leaving the office on a blustery day and said to yourself, "I can't wait to get home and curl up with a huge picture-book about pre-Columbian Venezuelan pottery? – Malvolio Aug 5 '12 at 5:22
To name a few uses: research (writing, design, film making), reference (painting, 3d modelling), inspiration (example art books of a particular artist or style), or general appreciation (astronomer having books of galaxies and stars). – WSkid Aug 5 '12 at 9:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.