English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let's assume I have a text in the notepad: "Some Text".

If I enter more words after the text it will be an append ("Some Text Another Text"), otherwise it will be a prepend ("Another Text Some Text"), if I don't replace the text with a new text completely ("Another Text").

So I am trying to come up with a term for these actions. How do you call it?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Taken as a group, these are all examples of "Text Modification".

If I'm reading your comment to morganpdx correctly, you could make a title like "Text Modification Options" where you then give further information about "Appending to your text", "Prepending to your text" (or "Inserting before your text"), and "Replacing your text".

share|improve this answer
"Edit" is more idiomatic. – Mechanical snail May 30 '12 at 10:55

The first word that comes to my mind is "Edit".

share|improve this answer

You already have the answer.

Prepend, append and replace are all verbs. See below, with related nouns:


You append text after some other text.

I appended some text.

He will append some text.


You prepend text before some other text.

I prepended some text.

He will prepend some text.

In either case, both of them could be called a supplement, or supplemental text.

share|improve this answer
but how do you call these verbs(or actions) if you have to explain under a title ? – Ozgur Dec 30 '10 at 22:56

You can call it conjugation too.

[My bad, I didn't notice the word "replace." You probably need to call it a "modification" already.]

share|improve this answer

Just another suggestion. In my experience, designers of systems often want to be systematic, which is to be expected, and want to catch similar things under a single heading. But why not describe a thing by two terms? Some Loeb translations of Plato translate many a complicated Greek word into two English words, which works rather well.

You could say "Replace or add to text", or "Replace/Add" if you want it shorter.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.