English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there one word for “happily surprised”?

share|improve this question
Serendipity could be a good word – William Macdonald Feb 13 '14 at 13:03
possible duplicate of Is there a word meaning unexpected pleasure? – Oleksandr R. Jun 14 '15 at 21:16
up vote 12 down vote accepted

Consider thrilled (suddenly excited, given great pleasure), elated (made happy and excited; delighted; pleased), overjoyed (given great joy, delight or pleasure).

share|improve this answer
I wonder whether these properly convey the element of surprise that OP intends. I understand that thrill does cover sudden excitement but when I use the phrase happily surprised I intend to say that I was not expecting to be happy about something. I was happily surprised to find that my team made the delivery on time. I agree that your suggestions drop right in to my example sentence, but it loses the element of surprise, and so, I think, changes the meaning slightly. – Jim Aug 2 '12 at 20:13
I agree, but in my shock, dismay, hurt and amazement at finding amazed already accepted as the answer, collapsed and was unable to spell out any finer points like that. – jwpat7 Aug 2 '12 at 20:15

I'd go with something like wonderment:

2: astonishment, surprise

share|improve this answer

Although often used (and sometimes abused), amazed fulfils the need quite well. Its literal meaning is 'astonishment, wonder.'

share|improve this answer
I'm amazed how quickly this answer was accepted! Definitely not a happy surprise, either. – jwpat7 Aug 2 '12 at 19:28
@jwpat7 I'm unhappily surprised at your comments, amazed even (in the abused sense). Hope I can please more on another occasion! – Tony Balmforth Aug 2 '12 at 20:34
Ok. "Unaccepted" for now. Let's see what the other answers are. – CodeBlue Aug 2 '12 at 21:43

Ken Dodd has the catchphrase “How tickled I am,” but has never been accused of using a formal register.

share|improve this answer

I would suggest gobsmacked.

Utterly astonished; astounded

Oxford Dictionaries Online

It enjoys more use in the U.K. than in the U.S., but may suit.

share|improve this answer
Being in the U.S., I'm largely unfamiliar with gobsmacked. After a bit of preliminary research, it seems like the word can be used to describe happy surpise, but it can also be used to describe being astonished after being blindsided by some unwelcome news. Is that true? – J.R. Aug 2 '12 at 21:54
U.S. based, I will look to our British colleagues to comment. – bib Aug 2 '12 at 22:32
In the US I've seen it a lot in videos and books, always with a sense like flabbergasted. The meaning shown in wiktionary is "To astonish". From etymonline, gobsmack is "U.K. slang, from gob “mouth” + p.p. of smack", before 1990, so essentially "a smack (sharp blow; a slap) in the mouth". – jwpat7 Aug 3 '12 at 4:56
The general UK view of 'gobsmacked' is that it is an unattractive word to be avoided, the language of fake tans and minimum vocabulary. – Tony Balmforth Aug 3 '12 at 8:06

Awestruck or amazed — the closest to what you want.

share|improve this answer

protected by RegDwigнt Feb 13 '14 at 12:30

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.