English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I must refer to my High School Diploma (Italy), how is it known abroad?

I mean, can I simply write High School Diploma?

In UK or USA, how is such a qualification recognized as?

share|improve this question
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. Are you asking whether an employer/university here (US) would recognize your High School Diploma as valid? I don't quite understand "how is it known abroad." And what or whom are you referring your diploma to? Maybe its my fault, just lost... – kalaracey Dec 29 '10 at 17:21
awesome... :) I think Noldorin's answer is good; although I have no knowledge of UK policy – kalaracey Dec 29 '10 at 17:30
up vote 3 down vote accepted

As far as I know, in the US, "high school diploma" is exactly the right term, and will be understood anywhere you go.

Here in the UK, I'm afraid we don't really have an equivalent; the only papers we get upon leaving are the examiners certificates for our GCSE/A-level exams - not exactly "diplomas". Saying that, I'm sure most Brits would at least recognise the significance of a "high school diploma" from a continental European country.

share|improve this answer
Thank you Noldorin, I thought the term is enough recognized everywhere, just wanted a confirm of that... – Andry Dec 29 '10 at 17:30
No problem. You should indeed be safe using it almost anywhere... – Noldorin Dec 29 '10 at 19:47

That's a good point by Noldorin but, it needs some clarification.

Yes, in the UK, there isn't an equivalent to "High School Diploma". The UK does not have the American, "High School" system. It generally has GCSEs. These are the exams that people do at school. There is at least, one exam in each subject. Some subjects, have more.

A-level exams are something else. They are exams that are done in sixth form, something that is done after, leaving school and. Sixth form is a second stage between school and university. It is not compulsory and therefore, it is not school. It is however, necessary for people who want to go to university. A-levels are normally a pre-condition for going to university.

If there is not an equivalent to A-levels and sixth form in Italy, the equivalent to a "High School Diploma", would be GCSEs.

If your main point is to refer to exams that people do at the end of their time at school, generally (whatever state they are from); you can call them school exams. This will be a sufficient description for any such exams, anywhere.

For your case Andry, you can describe it like this. In the general sense, you can say that you have a school exam/school exams (depending on if you did one or, more than one). In the specific sense, you can say that you have a "High School Diploma". Therefore, you can say to non-Italians "I have a school exam. A High School Diploma."

share|improve this answer
Wikipedia describes the American system well -- a High School diploma is broadly equivalent to A-level. It indicates that Italy doesn't actually have a High School system, so if Andry's qualification is awarded around age 18-19, before going to university, it's equivalent to the American High School diploma. – Andrew Leach Apr 8 '12 at 16:30
Andrew. It seems that clarification of this, is needed. If you are right, the equivalent in the UK, will depend on the age at which the Italian "High School Diploma", is awarded. – Tristan Apr 8 '12 at 17:58
Exactly so. We have no idea what the OP meant by "High School diploma", although it's a reasonable guess that he intended it in the American way. – Andrew Leach Apr 8 '12 at 18:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.