English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know one side is called 'flower'. But I don't know the other side's name. And any other common ways of calling them.

Are 'head' and 'tail' right?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by John Lawler, RegDwigнt Jul 30 '12 at 2:35

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Do you mean coin? If you know head and tail, where did you get flower? I can't make heads or tails of this question. – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Jul 30 '12 at 2:04
yes, I'm sorry for my mistakes. English is not my nature language. And a foreign teacher taught the flower or flowers. But I didn't know the other side – Samuel Jul 30 '12 at 2:11
No, I'm sorry for my mistakes.I mean coin – Samuel Jul 30 '12 at 2:14
'head' and 'tail' are right. That's all there is. Or rather 'heads' and 'tails'...why the plural is a whole nother question. – Mitch Jul 30 '12 at 2:21
"Traditionally, the side of a coin carrying a bust of a monarch or other authority, or a national emblem, is called the obverse, or colloquially, heads [...]. The other side is called the reverse, or colloquially, tails." — Wikipedia. You also probably have a bilingual dictionary you can look it up in. Closing as gen-ref. – RegDwigнt Jul 30 '12 at 2:35

The two sides are the obverse and the reverse:

Obverse and its opposite, reverse, refer to the two flat faces of coins and some other two-sided objects, including paper money, flags (see Flag terminology), seals, medals, drawings, old master prints and other works of art, and printed fabrics. In this usage, obverse means the front face of the object and reverse means the back face. The obverse of a coin is commonly called heads, because it often depicts the head of a prominent person, and the reverse tails.

In fields of scholarship outside numismatics, the term front is more commonly used than obverse, while usage of reverse is widespread.

share|improve this answer
English is not my nature language. And a foreign teacher taught the flower or flowers. But I didn't know the other side . Is that right call flowers in native English countries ? – Samuel Jul 30 '12 at 2:27
@Samuel No, flowers has no meaning in English that is related to coins. (that I am aware of) – tchrist Jul 30 '12 at 2:34
@Samuel, No I've never heard of "flower(s)" to refer to the face of a coin. 'Heads and tails' is of course most common in everyday speech. – Jim Jul 30 '12 at 2:34
thanks. I see. Maybe It just can work in my country. Because there are many flowers on the one side of ours coin – Samuel Jul 30 '12 at 2:48

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.