English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the word that describes seasonal holiday decorations that people sometimes put up in their offices or desks to mark certain holidays? I feel like I know there is a word for it but I can't remember it however hard I try now. I thought of a pageant - but that is really a procession or ceremony.

share|improve this question
Are you talking about Christmas decorations, but are afraid to use the word? – tchrist Jul 27 '12 at 12:23
In the above case, you may go for ornaments. – Playmaker Jul 27 '12 at 12:39
@tchrist Not really. These are decorations that change all year round marking seasons, holidays such as President's day, Memorial day, St. Patrick's Day, Graduation day, Labor day, July 4th, Halloween and of course, Christmas. – Ariel Jul 27 '12 at 12:39
I would use the word decoration or ornament for most any holiday. Unless you're thinking of a specific object. These are words for such items in general – ngmiceli Jul 27 '12 at 12:45
I am unaware of any single word that describes that. – Lynn Jul 27 '12 at 13:55
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Seasonal trimmings may suffice for these little flourishes of special, per-season décor elements that some folks decorate their homes with.

share|improve this answer
I like decor. As a matter of fact, I might like this answer better if you reversed the terms, i.e.: Seasonal décor may suffice for these little flourishes of special, per-season trimmings that some folks decorate with. (BTW, "seasonal decor" made for a very telling Google images search – a mix of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, along with some Easter and patriotic stuff strewn about as well.) – J.R. Jul 27 '12 at 18:01
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts! For now seasonal trimmings seems pretty precise! Thank you, @tchrist! – Ariel Jul 27 '12 at 19:37

I concur with Lynn about their not being a good single word.

I would consider bric-a-brac.

"Her work area was full of holiday bric-a-brac."

This might convey what you want, but it also might be too general like Zairja's paraphernalia suggestion.

share|improve this answer

In a more general sense, you might use paraphernalia.

Miscellaneous articles, esp. the equipment needed for a particular activity.

However, it's not necessarily a common construct (a Google search of "holiday paraphernalia" returns only 14,300 results).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.