English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For an assignment this term I have to come up with an anti-cliché superhero. I am going to do a superhero that changes shape from thin to big and was wondering if anyone knew a word for this change of shape/size.

share|improve this question
I'm afraid that your superhero isn't really going against the grain. Metamorpho is a pretty well known character. There are others too. The Superhero database might also be of some assistance. – coleopterist Jul 23 '12 at 8:22
Calvin and Hobbes might suggest transmogrify. – Cameron Jul 23 '12 at 8:25
@coleopterist Well, he did say cliché :) Aaaah... anti-cliché... Hm. Maybe he was making a joke :P – asymptotically Jul 23 '12 at 9:53
See also Marvel's Big Bertha – Mark Beadles Jul 23 '12 at 13:04
Off topic: naming a superhero (disguised as a word request). – MετάEd Jul 23 '12 at 19:58

11 Answers 11

Consider protean, "Exceedingly variable; readily assuming different shapes or forms"; "From Ancient Greek Πρωτεύς (Prōteus), the Greek warden of sea beasts, renowned for his ability to change shape."

share|improve this answer

Morph, metamorphose and mutate immediately come to mind ... And if he's changing the shape/size (in a negative way) of another object, mutilate.

share|improve this answer
That would be mutate and not mutilate. – coleopterist Jul 23 '12 at 8:23
Thank you. I've edited it to make sense :) – asymptotically Jul 23 '12 at 9:50
You missed a spot :) Also, mutate isn't necessarily negative. – coleopterist Jul 23 '12 at 10:08
Mutilate is. I meant to keep that mutilate. Mutate refers to changing oneself... you can't mutate something else, can you? And I see that mutate can be used transitively... can you give an example? I couldn't think of any. – asymptotically Jul 23 '12 at 11:03
I would suggest "transmute" over "mutate" in this context. – crisis.sheep Jul 23 '12 at 11:04

It sounds like you want a synonym for horizontal expansion (like puff or pop) more than you want a word for shapeshifting, since your superhero's morph abilities seem pretty specific and limited.

In any case, an anti-cliché superhero ought to have an anti-cliché name. How about Mister McPuffins (his tumescence is swell!)? Or Mary Poppins's cousin Percival Poppins?

share|improve this answer

Following Urbycoz’s gist, how about SupersizeMan? (def. supersize)

In a more humdrum vein, to increase in size is to augment, and Augmentor has a kind of X-men feel to it.

share|improve this answer

A "superhero that changes shape from thin to big"?

Dinna dinna dinna dinna...


share|improve this answer

Inflatoman might fill the bill, but could conjur up old superheros such as the StaPuft Marshmallow man from Ghost Busters, the Michelin Man, or even the Charles Atlas skinny-to-stud beach bodybuilder.

share|improve this answer

Your superhero appears to be changing from an ectomorph to an endomorph, so you could do something based on that.

Endomorpher? Endomorpho?

To answer the more general aspects of your question, the basic term for changing shape is metamorphosis. Which also means that names based on the body types noted above have a useful intrinsic allusion in place.

share|improve this answer

You could use words like shape-shifting, amoebic, elastic, or mutable. You could also use pliable to describe an inanimate object with the properties of your aforementioned superhero.

share|improve this answer

In general you would call it transforming. More specifically, dilating, scaling, or simply growing or enlarging

That said, the ability to grow or shrink oneself isn't particularly "anti-cliche".

share|improve this answer

If you're referring to flexibly changing sizes, I'd suggest you use "elastic".

share|improve this answer
That's not what elastic means. – Chenmunka Jan 12 '15 at 12:37

Here are some suggestions for you: spurtive, erratic.

share|improve this answer
Can you provide a definition that leads you to this answer? – medica Jan 12 '15 at 6:42

protected by tchrist Apr 10 '15 at 11:21

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.