English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I could find articles in Wikipedia that explain what each typographical symbol means and how it is used in print (e.g. pilcrow, section, dagger) but I couldn't find any information about the Lozenge mark/sign/symbol/character (◊ or Unicode U+25CA).

I know it's being used in modal logic and math, but is it (or has it ever been) used in English text?

share|improve this question
Are you interested in white or black lozange? – user19148 Jul 22 '12 at 16:04
@Carlo_R No preference really. I am just curious as to why I couldn't find any reference to its typographical use other than logic or math. Does this mean that, unlike ¶ or § or †, it hasn't really been used in textbooks other than the math ones? – Eternal Learner Jul 22 '12 at 16:08
I reckon it could be used as a bullet. – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Jul 22 '12 at 16:23
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Every entry of lozenge in the OED lists a heraldic, artistic, or mathematical usage.

From this we can assert that any usage in English text has, so far, been ornamental (e.g. as a list marker), or descriptive of things that incorporate the shape itself.

share|improve this answer

It's not used in text (although it could be used decoratively, in a border or as a rule or bullet). It's a mathematical symbol.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.