English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We can usually find this structure at kids playgrounds. I want to know what it's called.

I've searched online but couldn't figure it out but fortunately found the image below.

a freestanding spiral slide

share|improve this question
If you found the image here, then the caption says it all: "360 Spiral Slide". The file is also similarly named. – coleopterist Jul 22 '12 at 7:29
up vote 13 down vote accepted

As others have said, that is a picture of a spiral slide.

I only wanted to point out that there would be nothing wrong with calling it a slide either. If my daughter said, "Daddy, can I go play on the slide?" I would certainly not correct her with, "That's not a slide, that's a vortex slide." However, if I was a park manager wanting to order a slide like that one for my playground, I wouldn't ask to order a slide, but I would specify that I wanted a plastic spiral slide.

Slides come in many variations, including spiral slides, tube slides, indoor slides, playground slides, pools slides and water slides.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
+1 Due to their clarity, I love answers supported with pictures. – user19148 Jul 22 '12 at 11:40
Let's not forget carpet slides. :) – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Jul 23 '12 at 2:32

It looks like a spiral slide to me.

share|improve this answer

I would also call it a spiral slide. Alternative would be a corkscrew slide http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=corkscrew+OR+spiral+slide

share|improve this answer

If you wanted to order one for your own garden, then spiral slide is obviously the right term.

As far as children's names for such a thing are concerned, as well as "slide" it could easily be a helter-skelter because of its similarity to the fairground attraction (which are usually a lot larger!)

Helter-skelter attraction at a fairground

Image from http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Ideas/Album/Village-Fete.htm

share|improve this answer
Helter-skelter appears as holterdipolter (if I remember correctly) in German and ulta-palta in Hindi. – Barry Brown Jul 31 '12 at 21:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.