English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a word that means to say in a positive sense? For instance, when writers say that a person was sexually assaulted instead of saying raped.

Or people use let go instead of fired.

What is that called?

share|improve this question
I don't think sexually assaulted is particularly positive. – Kit Z. Fox Jul 20 '12 at 13:42
Also, 'sexually assaulted' covers more than just 'raped'. – Mitch Jul 20 '12 at 13:47
I think these words/phrases soften the thrust/intent of the original. As the others have mentioned, sexual assault does not fall in this category. In any event, assault is a pretty strong word; there's no couching there. – coleopterist Jul 20 '12 at 14:26
@KitFox That depends who's doing it. – Jay Jul 20 '12 at 16:43
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Such a usage is called a Euphemism.

"A figure of rhetoric by which an unpleasant or offensive thing is described or referred to by a milder term" (Chambers)

share|improve this answer

A euphemism.

(Note, though, that sexual assault is a crime distinct from rape.)

share|improve this answer
In most jurisdictions, "sexual assault" is the catch-all, ranging from a Roman Butt-Pinch to the most brutal instances of what we used to call "rape". "Aggravated sexual assault" covers the more severe end of the spectrum. – Chris Cudmore Jul 20 '12 at 14:00
Thanks for clarifying, Chris. – crisis.sheep Jul 20 '12 at 14:07
Well, it irks me when the media uses this euphemism when writing about a rape. We as a cultured have become too sensitized. Also, this is the ugliest of acts, which people, if not careful, can confuse a situation as being, "not as bad" when they read about it through the use of euphemisms. – Marty Jul 20 '12 at 14:52
I Thank all of you for the reminder. I always forget that word. I agree with everything everyone has said. – Marty Jul 20 '12 at 14:55

A slang term is "sugar-coating the [bitter] pill."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.