English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As far as I can tell there is [Title/Suffix] [First Name] [Last Name/Surname] [Number].

I am confused on two things really:

  • What do you call the last part of someone's name like "III" for 'the third'?
  • Why do they call Mr./Mrs./etc the suffix of a name when it is actually the first part of the name?
share|improve this question
possible duplicate of What terms describe the various parts of someone's name? – jwpat7 Jul 16 '12 at 5:05
@jwpat7 No, the question that you've linked to mentions neither the "title" part of a name, nor what to call the "number" part. – user16269 Jul 16 '12 at 6:38
up vote 5 down vote accepted

You have it backwards. II/JR.... are the suffix. Mr, Mrs. are the Title or prefix

share|improve this answer

The answer is in Wikipedia. They are called suffixes, and more specifically generational suffixes. These are Sr., Jr., II, III, IV, etc.

share|improve this answer

To answer your first question, monarchical ordinal is the name for the number placed after a king or a Pope's name. It is also called a regnal number as it is appended to a regnal name. In other cases like numbers appended after family names, a familial ordinal should do, though it is not at all common and unlikely to be understood. Instead one could just call it the ordinal number in one's name.

Also, Mr. and Mrs. are English honorifics, which are titles prefixing a person's name. I am not sure why you think they are suffixes.

share|improve this answer
No. The question wasn't specifically about the number after the name of a king, queen or pope. A man who has the exact same name as his father and his grandfather might be called "John Doe III" (pronounced "John Doe the third"), without being a king or a pope. – user16269 Jul 16 '12 at 6:40
@DavidWallace: Perhaps a familial ordinal? I can't find any special names used though. – Bravo Jul 16 '12 at 7:11
And it is, I believe, an entirely American custom. – Barrie England Jul 16 '12 at 7:16
Actually, the words "familial ordinal" are generally used to indicate the birth order within the family (ie first-born, second-born and so on); not the number at the end of the name. Sorry. – user16269 Jul 16 '12 at 7:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.