I know that mantle has many different meanings...
- a garment (loose, sleeveless cloak/cape)
- something that covers, envelops, or conceals
- the part of the Earth between the crust and the core
- part of a shell in mollusks/brachiopods
- a wooden/stone frame around the opening of a fireplace
- to spread or cover a surface
- to blush
- to spread the wings and tail (of a hawk or falcon) over food
So how did the word dismantle *(to disassemble/pull down; to deprive of defenses)* come about? One would think that they are opposites!