English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's a word that means "common element"?

Cars and Bikes share the common element that they are both wheeled vehicles.

share|improve this question
When you say "are both" it is already implicit that the they have something in common. Therefore you could write simply Cars and bikes are both wheeled vehicles. – b.roth Dec 23 '10 at 13:39
@Bruno: in which case "wheeled vehicle" is a hypernym of "car" and "bike". – RegDwigнt Dec 23 '10 at 14:37
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Linked? I'm not sure that a single word gives that concept merit. I know that a part of the standard IQ test is to give two words and ask how they are similar. It starts easily, like bike and car (wheeled, mode of transportation, etc) and get progressively harder. If one tries, one should be able to come up with a commonality between any two concepts.

share|improve this answer
Of course, now that I re-read my answer, I suppose that commonality = "common element" – Jeff Dec 23 '10 at 13:10
+1 for "commonality". – Mitch Schwartz Dec 23 '10 at 14:22
Ahh so stupid. Before I asked this question I looked up commonality in the dictionary and swore that it explicitly said that commonality did not mean this. Of course now that I look in the dictionary it says that it does mean this. WTF was I thinking. – Mark Dec 23 '10 at 15:56

One option is maybe Commonality . It could possibly be worded as :-

Cars and Bikes share the commonality of being wheeled vehicles

Another option would be to use the word Denominator

However, that still wouldnt be one word as the usage would be Common Denominator

share|improve this answer

Also related is the more mathematical/algorithmical term 'superset'. Vehicles are a superset of bikes and cars, in that they are both types of vehicles, but there are yet more vehicles types beyond the two.

share|improve this answer

As a programmer, I have to answer Generalization. I'm sure there must be a better word though.

share|improve this answer
Along the same lines, there is "abstraction", but I think "commonality" as suggested by Jeff is closer to what the OP described. – Mitch Schwartz Dec 23 '10 at 14:25

Like a shared trait? An attribute?

They are "similar"? or that they share X and X is defined to mean "noun. common element" ?

I'm aware it's the latter, I'm just trying to brainstorm and potentially help :)

"They share a similarity" perhaps?

share|improve this answer

In this case, element could be replaced by

  • attribute
  • characteristic
  • feature
  • quality
  • trait
share|improve this answer


esp., @chim; in programming, a class defines all objects that share a commonality. class: wheeled vehicle object: car, bike, ... element/member of a class also refer to the object

I believe this concept is used in all scientific terminology in general (zoology, botany, demographics) with slightly different meanings - think it has to do with what the scientists call taxonomy.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.