English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Suppose that someone hates transvestites or hermaphrodites. How should we call such a person? What are most appropriate words to describe exactly that kinds of intolerance?

It is in some way close to homophobia, but not exactly.

UPD: For my dear down voters. This is a regular question, one of many of such questions. It is nor a joke, neither I'm trying to troll. Actually, this question came up to my mind after I had read following Kurt Vonneguts' quote:

Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

share|improve this question
Are there people that hate hermaphrodites?!?! that is straight up stupid! I live in a pretty closed minded area but never found someone that hates hermaphrodites! Must be people that think the blame should be on the parents for doing something immoral... – BillyNair Jul 5 '12 at 20:29
@BillyNair, I don't know how it goes today, but there are lot of historical evidences of hermaphrodite discrimination. They've been killed, for example, even in Ancient Greece, in a country one can hardly call homophobic - hormones.gr/149/article/article.html – shabunc Jul 5 '12 at 20:37
I've got to go for "Not a Real Question" here. In whose universe is it meaningful to ask for a single word to describe people who hate transvestites and hermaphrodites? All I can think of is "bigot", but that just means people who hate anyone who's "not like us". – FumbleFingers Jul 5 '12 at 22:36
@shabunc: So, are you looking for two words? One for people who hate transvestites, and another for people who hate hermaphrodites? Or maybe three words - those two, plus another for people who hate both? Sorry, but for my money this is an unpleasant question in and of itself, and if any such words existed (which I doubt) I would not wish to see them promoted here. – FumbleFingers Jul 5 '12 at 22:52
@shabunc: Yes, I am a bit irritated. If you wanted two different words you should have asked two different questions. Lumping them together carries implications. Would you post a single question asking what to call people who hate negroes or old people? – FumbleFingers Jul 6 '12 at 0:14
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Homophobe has already been coined to mean a person having an aversion to homosexuality. It turns out there is already a term, gynandromorph, for a creature composed of both "male" and "female" types.

One could surely refer to a person having an aversion to transsexuals or hermaphrodites as a gynandrophobe.

share|improve this answer
i've combined in this question actually two questions, as @FumbleFingers mentioned. My bad, would be more careful next time. But since gynandrophobe is more non-obviuos, let this one be the answer. – shabunc Jul 6 '12 at 5:12
From the etymology, gynandrophobe would be somebody who hates (or fears) both men and women. – TimLymington Oct 7 '12 at 13:23

The closest established term is transphobia, but that applies best to bigotry against transgendered individuals. It would not be completely foreign to the case of bigotry against cross-dressing or intersexed people as you describe, though.

share|improve this answer
Phobias are not necessarily naming objects of hatred. – DWin Jul 5 '12 at 20:46
@DWin: The overwhelming popular usage of homophobia as meaning "hatred (rooted in fear) of homosexuals" has made this objection basically purely pedantic in nature. – chaos Jul 5 '12 at 21:01
I came around to agreeing with you. The terms Anglophobe and Francophobe are further arguments in favor of your point. – DWin Jul 5 '12 at 21:12
+1 @chaos, this is the only term recognized in the community (in N. America, at least). It will have emerged from the community's use and recognition of the term "homophobia," with the the suffix phobia combined with the prefix trans. That said, I know this term refers to hatred of transgendered people, but I don't know if it encompasses hatred of hermaphrodites. – JAM Jul 6 '12 at 0:53
@JAM: Yeah, I would consider it to be relevant mostly insofar as the T in LGBTQ somewhat brings transvestism and intersex issues under its umbrella. So, not in a particularly high-profile or reliable way. – chaos Jul 6 '12 at 1:11

I don't know of any specific term. I think you could use the general construction "anti-hermaphrodite". That would probably be more clear than any specific term, anyway.

share|improve this answer
may be you are right. After all, nazis hated disabled persons and gipsies, but there's not specific well known words for this. – shabunc Jul 5 '12 at 20:47

protected by tchrist Oct 6 '12 at 22:36

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.