English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

for smell it would be "olfactory". What is it for touch?

share|improve this question
Related question: english.stackexchange.com/questions/7256/… – Mitch Schwartz Dec 23 '10 at 6:15
up vote 8 down vote accepted

Hah Google Sets was actually useful for something! Results for inputting visual, olfactory, and auditory were:

  • visual
  • olfactory
  • auditory
  • gustatory
  • tactile
  • kinesthetic
  • vestibular
  • proprioceptive
  • pain
  • touch/pressure
  • gravity
  • receptors
  • kinaesthetic
  • somatosensory

So, tactile it is!

share|improve this answer
"Haptic" is sometimes used as well in some technical contexts, but will not be understood by most people (i.e. I had to look it up when I first encountered it). – Colin Fine Dec 23 '10 at 12:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.