English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What word should I use to translate Russian word "телепередача"?

I mean a distinct interval in TV broadcast dedicated to a certain topic and united with the same format such as a talk show, newsreel, an analytic monologue/dialogue, a learning TV class etc?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It should be a programme. However Google translate gives telecast, which I am not sure fits your description.

share|improve this answer
Google Translate gives broadcast, TV program, TV show and television program as alternate translations. – Hugo Jul 5 '12 at 7:11
In non-UK English (i.e. everywhere else), it should be "program". – Translator1983 Jul 5 '12 at 7:45
@Translator1983: No, in India we use programme for TV shows and program for software codes. – Bravo Jul 5 '12 at 7:46
I won't argue with that, but I wish to point out that the English spoken in India comes from British English. I should have mentioned that "programme" is also used in many former English colonies. – Translator1983 Jul 5 '12 at 9:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.