English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need a word for feather-like. Pinnated doesn't fit, nor fern-like or anything I have thought of. I'd love something to use as in phocine for seal-like.

share|improve this question

How about "plumose"?

It has the same meaning as "feathery."

share|improve this answer

Pennaceous is one word common in ornithology for feather-like. You could also use these words derived from plume. (See Free Dictionary.)

  • plumose
  • plumate
  • plumous

One point to note is the latter set of words could be used both for feather-like and feathery, so the usage is inferred from the context. Going by the OED, only plumose stands for feather-like; the rest are for having feathers or feathery.

share|improve this answer

Similar to pinnated is pennate, used to refer to the feather-like strands of the bicep, for instance.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.