English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What’s the most common name for this kind of image?

enter image description here

I want to find other similar images, but I don’t know how to formulate my search request.

share|improve this question
What about the image? The content? The aspect ratio? – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Jun 28 '12 at 15:30
Google image search allows you to drag & drop pictures into the search bar to do a visually similar search. It is, however, rather limited at this time (searching for this image only brings up 4 results). – Fisher Jun 28 '12 at 16:33
Umm, I think you really need to clarify what it is about the image that you want to categorize. Pictures taken from space? Very dark pictures? Pictures that use blurred light for dramatic effect? Pictures that are wider than they are tall? Etc etc. – Jay Jun 28 '12 at 20:45
@Fisher of cource, I've tried it. It gives nothing. goo.gl/1YnXu – Ivan Akulov Jun 29 '12 at 7:51
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Besides the space horizon and space sunrise google image searches mentioned previously, diamond ring eclipse and Baily's beads may be useful to look for. (Granted, if you want some illuminated planet surface to be visible, space sunrise seems to be the proper thing to look for.)

As noted in dictionary.reference.com, diamond ring effect refers to

a phenomenon, sometimes observed immediately before and after a total eclipse of the sun, in which one of Baily's beads is much brighter than the others, resembling a diamond ring around the moon.

The Baily's beads article in wikipedia explains the diamond ring effect at more length, and also notes:

The name is in honor of Francis Baily who first provided an exact explanation of the phenomenon in 1836. The diamond ring effect is seen when only one bead is left; a shining diamond set in a bright ring around the lunar silhouette.

share|improve this answer
Thank you. Space sunrise is thing I need. – Ivan Akulov Jun 29 '12 at 8:01

Space Sunrise seems to fit the bill better than Space Horizon. Space Sunrise: Google Image Search

NASA seems to support this terminology as well. NASA Space Sunrise Picture With Description

share|improve this answer

Look for "globe horizon", "sun rise edge", "atmospheric sunrise", "sun atmosphere line"... these should you provide you some similar images.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.