English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What would you call:

  • latex (a type setter)
  • MS Word (a word processor)
  • iWork Pages (a word processor)

What about:

  • latex
  • MS Word
  • iWork Pages
  • Powerpoint
  • Excel

Is there a term for these programs?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted
  • LaTeX : While LaTeX can be loosely called a typesetting program/system, it is officially a document preparation system and technically a document markup language based on TeX, which is the actual typesetting program/system/language behind LaTeX. However, you will find TeX and LaTeX used interchangeably in most situations.

  • iWork Pages : This is a word processor or desktop publishing/productivity (DTP) program/software.

  • MS Word : This is indeed a word processor; could also be DTP

  • Powerpoint/Keynote : Presentation software/programs; also desktop productivity tools.

  • Excel : Spreadsheet program/package

Put together, programs in the Office or iWork suite can be generally referred to as office productivity/desktop productivity/desktop publishing programs or tools.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.