English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can someone please clarify what is the plural form of proof of concept? Is it proofs of concept, proof of concepts or proofs of concepts?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by RegDwigнt Jun 22 '12 at 15:26

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I would simply say POCs.. Most people use the abbreviated form in conversations.. to say the whole thing is so tiring.. – userSeven7s Jun 22 '12 at 15:15
While writing formally proof-of-concept's could be used I guess.. – userSeven7s Jun 22 '12 at 15:21
It might depend on you have many different proofs of one concept, or many different proofs of many different concepts. – FrustratedWithFormsDesigner Jun 22 '12 at 15:22
@userSeven7s no. That is so wrong I don't know where to start. – RegDwigнt Jun 22 '12 at 15:24
I am closing this as general reference, since Wiktionary has the answer. See also: Words that are pluralized in the middle. – RegDwigнt Jun 22 '12 at 15:27

It's proofs of concept.

As the moderator's closure comment indicates, the Wiktionary:Talk page is a good reference; e.g. compare to "mothers-in-law" or "attorneys-at-law."

share|improve this answer
What if I have multiple proofs of multiple concepts? as @FrustratedWithForms. said.. – userSeven7s Jun 22 '12 at 15:29
Then you would have multiple proofs of concept, not "proofs of concepts" – izx Jun 22 '12 at 15:33

If you consider proof of concept a compound phrase, it would be proofs of concept. In The Associated Press Stylebook, it says for compound words that involve separate words or words linked by a hyphen, make the most significant word plural:

  • Significant word first: adjutants general, aides-de-camp, attorneys general, courts-martial, daughters-in-law, passers-by, postmasters general, presidents-elect, secretaries general, sergeants major
  • Significant word in the middle: assistant attorneys general, deputy chiefs of staff
  • Significant word last: assistant attorneys, assistant corporation counsels, deputy sheriffs, lieutenant colonels, major generals
share|improve this answer
I've always wondered whether cul-de-sac happens to follow this rule. – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Jun 22 '12 at 16:23
Per my American Heritage Dictionary, 4th ed., it can be either culs-de-sac or cul-de-sacs. I would guess in U.S. suburbia, that cul-de-sacs is more commonly used. – JLG Jun 22 '12 at 16:32
Stating the rule in terms of "most significant word" seems unnecessarily ambiguous to me. I learned it as "make the noun plural, not any adjective or other modifiers". So, for example, a "court martial" is a court that is martial (i.e. related to the military), not a martial that is court. So to make it plural, we say "courts martial", because there are two courts, not two "martials". Granted it can be confusing because in some cases a word can be both a noun and an adjective, but we have to look at how it's used in this particular phrase. ... – Jay Jun 22 '12 at 17:29
... Like "attorney general". Yes, "general" can be a noun, as in the military rank. But here it's being used as an adjective. The "attorney" has "general" authority. – Jay Jun 22 '12 at 17:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.