English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What word would you use to describe a large, short, wide, roundish, fat bottle, the kind used for some wines: tubby or chubby?

This kind of flask called growler would match my request, but I'd like to learn what adjectives could describe this shape.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Old beer bottles (in Canada, don't know about the US and I don't know where you're located) are known as stubbies. Could that be what you're thinking of? – JAM Jun 19 '12 at 15:52
I think of growlers as "jugs" rather than "bottles" -- milk comes in half gallon or gallon jugs, – Amanda Jun 19 '12 at 19:10
Australia uses 'stubbies' vs. 'long-necks' about beer bottles, too, though stubbies are usually ≈375ml, and long-necks 750ml. Then there's the infamous 'Darwin Stubby' - which is 2L or so: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Darwin_stubby.jpg – Beejamin Dec 27 '13 at 1:13
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I would describe it as squat:

b : marked by disproportionate shortness or thickness

share|improve this answer
...although I must say "hearty jug" sounds just as good :) – SF. Jun 19 '12 at 19:23

The technical term, which is obscure, is urceolate.


share|improve this answer
In the UK a jug has a handle and a spout or lip. – Barrie England Jun 19 '12 at 15:48
@BarrieEngland We'd call that a pitcher. – Mark Beadles Jun 19 '12 at 15:50
Fine, but how would you describe the shape? Especially if I want to remain clear this is not a typical, open-top jug/pitcher, but a flask with a cork? – SF. Jun 19 '12 at 15:58
@SF Oh, you are looking for a word for the shape of such a bottle. That was not entirely clear to me from your question. – Mark Beadles Jun 19 '12 at 16:02
@Mark: Yes, sorry for not expressing myself clearly enough (I hoped "adjective" in keywords would suffice) – SF. Jun 19 '12 at 16:07

I'd say that a chestnut flask closely resembles your description, "large, short, wide, roundish, 'fat' bottle".

However, handled liquor bottle is generically accurate for the flask or bottle with handle as shown in your picture. Previously-mentioned squat is used in descriptions of cylindrical spirits bottles without handles also.

Some other terms for fat, roundish bottles that may be relevant include Benedictine bottles, Pitkin flasks, Union Oval flasks, Shoo-fly & Coffin flasks, Picnic/Jo Jo flasks, Barrel flasks, Eagle flasks, Olympia & Washington style flasks, Baltimore Oval Flasks, and Dandy Flasks.

share|improve this answer

I think of growlers and similarly large vessels as jugs rather than bottles -- milk comes in half gallon or gallon jugs, for instance. Definitely a vessel of that shape filled with wine would be a jug of wine ... so an urcolate jug perhaps? Or a hearty jug (which gets the essence but not the shape).

The site that @jwpat7 cites calls them simply squat.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.