Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've recently had a job where I've read exams and graded them. I'm now going to put this on my CV but I have no idea how I should label this kind of work. What have I been? An examiner?

share|improve this question
In my experience examiner refers to the person who administers the exam, not the person who grades it. It is mostly used for oral or practical exams where there is direct interaction between the examiner (who asks the questions) and the examinee or test-taker (who answers them). I haven't heard examiner used in the context of written exams at all. –  Nate Eldredge Jun 17 '12 at 23:21

4 Answers 4

up vote 10 down vote accepted

A person marking or grading the exam is called a marker or grader. An examiner can refer to such a person, but it can also mean one who sets the questions.

share|improve this answer
Exactly. That's what I suspected. I should probably call myself a grader then. Thanks! –  Speldosa Jun 17 '12 at 12:00

In American university systems of my acquaintance, we always call them “graders”. Remember though that in America, the action of assigning a grade to a student’s work is called grading. One does not normally speak of assigning a mark, just a grade. So “marker” wouldn’t be used this side of the atlantic.

I’ve at times been a grader myself, even though I was not the professor nor the TA (teacher’s assistant) for that particular course. This tended to happen towards the end of the term when there was more material needing grading than they were staffed up to handle. This was for undergraduate courses in computer programming.

Also, even though we always assigned numeric scores between 0–100, we still called them graders, never *scorers. Exactly how a particular numeric score mapped to a letter grade depended on the university, the course, and sometimes also on the thing being graded.

share|improve this answer
Careful about your generalizations about sides of the Atlantic: my experience (secondhand) is that mark is the standard word in Canada. (But grade is definitely correct for the US.) –  Nate Eldredge Jun 17 '12 at 23:17

You haven't been an examiner. I'd just go with Exam-marker.

share|improve this answer
"Exam-marker" seems good too. –  Speldosa Jun 17 '12 at 12:01

Without knowing any more about what you did, or where you did it, you might be able to say that you were a T.A., responsible for grading exams.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.