English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is one of those word / phrase on the tip of my tongue things.

What is a technical word or phrase for an item that belongs to a group?

Some Context

I am creating a relational table (database) and am trying to add a comment to describe the column as briefly as possible. (Limited to 60 characters.)

Column name: groupid - Sample comment Organizational Group this item belongs to

The point of the comment is to indicate that groupid is a reference meant for visual / organizational purposes only and has no functional purpose in the software.

Not a big issue, just bugging me cause I can't think of the / a word (or better way of stating this).

I don't know if this helps anyone, but some words floating around in my head right now (as I try to find the right word) are catalog and chronological.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Jasper Loy, jwpat7, FumbleFingers, kiamlaluno, Daniel Jun 27 '12 at 23:01

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

ParentGroupName – Jim Jun 15 '12 at 19:22
up vote 2 down vote accepted

If you're entering cat into the database and the groupin column is to contain mammal, then the appropriate heading might be taxon (too technical?), kind, category, group, etc. Or else element of, member of, ...

(If, however, the question is meant as phrased, then, as Jeff Sahol suggested, member might be right, or element, as these refer to what sets contain.)

share|improve this answer
That's the word. Taxonomy. – Tom Jun 15 '12 at 19:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.