Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know this is kinda stupid but what is the word for "helping someone climb by allowing him to stand on your hands" (to allow him/her see above some wall or climb something)?

share|improve this question
More details: it usually implies clenching both your hands to allow someone put his foot on. –  owahab Dec 20 '10 at 11:45

4 Answers 4

up vote 16 down vote accepted

Per Wiktionary, the word you are searching for is to give so. a leg up.

Leg up: the act of assisting another's progress over a wall or other obstacle by forming a step for one of their feet with one's hands

share|improve this answer

To boost or give someone a boost may work well, depending on how formal the context.

At least in American English, giving someone a leg up often is used in a more metaphorical sense, as in giving someone an advantage of some kind which is not necessary physical, so this phrase may confuse some readers if you are actually referring to the physical act of lifting someone up.

share|improve this answer
“To (give someone a) boost” also gets used figuratively. I wouldn’t have thought it would be clearer? –  PLL Dec 20 '10 at 16:42
Indeed, in the UK, I would not understand "give someone a boost" as having this literal meaning. –  Colin Fine Dec 20 '10 at 17:30
Indeed, in the US, I would not necessarily understand "give someone a boost" as having this literal meaning, though that is certainly one of its possible uses. –  Marthaª Dec 20 '10 at 17:42
Yes, I also agree the "boost" has the metaphorical meaning. However, I would never use "a leg up" in the physical sense--to me, it only has a metaphorical meaning, while "boost" for me has both. –  Rosey28 Dec 21 '10 at 7:01

I will throw in bunk-up for good measure, the complete expression being to give someone a bunk-up. I have only ever heard it in a movie or two. Wiktionary marks it as UK, perhaps someone from the US can comment on whether it would be understood there as well.

share|improve this answer
When I hear bunk up, I think sleep in the same room. This would be used for times when there are multiple beds in the room (hotel rooms, vacation homes, etc.) to describe who should share which rooms. It does not necessarily imply sharing the bed. I would say this phrase is used quite informally in the American English context. –  Rosey28 Dec 20 '10 at 13:04
I don't recognise "bunk-up" in the context of the question. (UK reader) –  Colin Fine Dec 20 '10 at 17:29

I'm not sure there's a single English word for it; I know we have one for it in Slovenian.

And Google Translate doesn't know how to translate the said word, which is more evidence from my end that such a word does not exist in English.

share|improve this answer
…so what is the word for it in Slovenian? I know this isn’t slovenian.stackexchange.com, but now that you’ve mentioned it, I can’t help being curious! –  PLL Dec 20 '10 at 16:41
@PLL: while you're waiting, I'll try to keep you entertained by presenting you with the German word: Räuberleiter ("looters' ladder"). It even has an article on the German Wikipedia. –  RegDwigнt Dec 21 '10 at 1:14
Our word "ravbarska" is actually derived from Räuberleiter, or rather, "ravbar" comes from the German word for thief Räuber and -ska makes it an adjective, then common usage makes it a nounified adjective. –  Swizec Teller Dec 25 '10 at 15:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.