English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When you visit an aquarium, you see different species of marine life in different 'sections.' They are usually surrounded by glass.

I want to build sentences like this:

I walked to another 'glass/section.' In it, I could see a many sting rays."

The shark whale swam from one corner of the 'glass/section' to the other.

There was a jellyfish in the middle of the glass. (OK, this one sounds weird).

I'm not very sure which is the best word to use here.


For example, this would be a 'section':

enter image description here

Is it right to say, for instance:

The people are looking through the glass.


There are many people in this section.

(I just need a general term that people would immediately understand. I need this for a novel I'm writing.)

share|improve this question
up vote 13 down vote accepted

Both of your examples at the end are fine, but I think the word you might be looking for is tank, which fits perfectly in all three of your constructions at the beginning of your question.

If you want to be consistent, (though you don't need to be in this case), you'd need to reform your later sentences to

The people are looking into the tank.


There are many people at this tank.

share|improve this answer
Damn! I think that is the word I was looking for. But I'm curious about the other answers. – janoChen Jun 7 '12 at 11:44

What about "exhibit"? Or are you talking about different sections of the same tank?

share|improve this answer
That's the first word that came to my mind, but I ruled it out. "Exhibit" usually refers to something larger. e.g. The shark exhibit might have several tanks. – ikegami Jun 7 '12 at 20:26

I do believe that tank is a great answer, water tank to be more precise (there are gas tanks too). The glass you are looking through is called glass window (don't have idea why). But when you go to see different species of marine life you go to place with different maricultures.

share|improve this answer

I don't recall aquariums using the word "tank" or "water tank". I believe the word of choice is "habitat".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.