English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Whenever Britain is abuzz with some celebration, I find these people (cops or soldiers?) in red strutting about in parades wearing an elongated black headdress. Royal parade

Is there a word for this peculiar hat, just like there is a zuchetto to refer to the Pope's cap?

share|improve this question
+1, but zucchetto is only one of the Pope's caps; so you should edit your question as follow "...a zuchetto to refer to one of the Pope's caps?". – Elberich Schneider Jun 6 '12 at 18:16
up vote 8 down vote accepted

It is called a bearskin, and as the wikipedia link shows it is not limited to British soldiers.

share|improve this answer
Is a zucchetto Catholic? Does a bearskin crap in the woods? – JeffSahol Jun 6 '12 at 18:31
@JeffSahol I think the question is, if a bearskin does crap in the woods, does anyone hear it? – NominSim Jun 6 '12 at 18:41

NominSim is right. Also, the people that wear them are soldiers. It is part of the ceremonial uniform of the guards regiments.

They are literally, made of bear skin.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.