English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the American word for a notebook that students have at school in which they do their homework assignments? I mean the notebook in which a teacher marks good or bad behavior of a student and which parents have to sign weekly.

share|improve this question
My kids' schools called it a planner. (That's what we had to sign to acknowledge that we saw the assignments. The teachers my children had didn't use it to write comments, but I guess they could have.) – JLG Jun 4 '12 at 16:12
"Parents have to sign weekly?" – tchrist Jun 4 '12 at 16:15
@Izkata Well, I can't tell from your comment when that might have been. But here in parts of Ohio, USA, from no later than 2000-present these planners have been required from late elementary through middle school (ages 7-12). They are not limited to here - they are standard tools available at a national level from many vendors. – Mark Beadles Jun 4 '12 at 20:59
@MarkBeadles The time era I'm thinking of was ~1996-97 in Illinois, and I don't recall anything for the "good or bad behavior" usage beyond 4th grade (age 10, ~1998-1999 for me). As for homework, we just do them in "notebooks". =) – Izkata Jun 4 '12 at 21:31
@Izkata: (This alludes to a possible ambiguity in Monica's question) The agendas and planners that we're talking about are primarily designed to be a standard vehicle for teachers and parents to communicate; students actually do their homework in standard notebooks, but they record their assignments in planners/agendas (although many planners have extra paper where some homework could be done). In the school districts around where I live, these were rather popular for awhile, but I think they're being phased out in many places, as more schools get an online presence to handle such matters. – J.R. Jun 5 '12 at 9:44
up vote 2 down vote accepted

In my son's present school, they have a book they call an "agenda" where the student is supposed to write assignments and that sort of thing.

I have four kids, the youngest now in his second year of high school, and they've attended schools in three different districts in two states, and no school has ever asked me to sign anything like that, weekly or otherwise. When I was a kid my parents were never asked to sign anything like that as far as I recall. Maybe that's a British thing, or if it's done in the U.S., it's not universal. Whether my kids' schools were the exception or the rule I have no idea.

share|improve this answer
I never heard of this practice in British schools. It's probably from non-English speaking parts of the world. – Tristan Jun 4 '12 at 17:28
I'm from the UK. When I was at school, there was a "Homework Diary", and it had that printed on the front. Very few children had that imposed on them and their parents by the school, but it remained an option for every pupil. [I tried it for a while. Didn't help!] – Andrew Leach Jun 4 '12 at 18:10
I'm in the U.S. and so is Mark Beadles. – JLG Jun 4 '12 at 19:34
My kids (4 of them, U.S. family) all had planners (which were sometimes called agendas). Seems like the parental signature arrangement could be invoked from time to time, particularly around the middle school timeframe, if the student had been performing badly due to incomplete assignments, but it wasn't necessarily every week for every parent. – J.R. Jun 4 '12 at 21:05

I agree with @JLG in his comment - we (US family with kids in school) call this a planner or student planner.

share|improve this answer
It seems that 1. this is a newer (2000 or later) thing and 2. it is widespread but by no means universal in the US. – Mark Beadles Jun 4 '12 at 21:01

Composition book, perhaps? (The link is to a product search at Office Depot, so you can verify whether it's what you meant.)

share|improve this answer
A composition book is more generic, generally just a bound blank book. – Mark Beadles Jun 4 '12 at 16:17
I don't have kids, and my elementary school days are lost in the mists of time. We had Pee-Chees, and later Trappers (and Trapper Keepers), but the only thing I ever had in which I essentially carried communications back and forth between my teachers and parents was in high school English - and it was a composition book (fake-marble cover, quad-ruled pages.) So I suspect that my education didn't include the precise thing that the OP is asking about... – MT_Head Jun 4 '12 at 17:41

The word 'composition notebook' is generally used in the US to describe one of these notebooks:

A composition notebook

'Planner' is more widely used to describe what you're saying.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.