English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How should one refer to somebody who wants to gain knowledge all the time and keeps learning in life even when very old?

What's the phrase for the same? My dictionary says "learn and live."

share|improve this question

Sometimes there is no direct translation for a specific phrase. I have heard people use phrases like, "He is a life-long learner."

share|improve this answer

Lifelong learning is the obvious answer, but in case you need something more sophisticated, you could go for opsimathy.

"An opsimath is someone who begins, or continues, to study or learn late in life." (Ref: Wikipedia).

share|improve this answer

Pearson's tagline: Always Learning

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.