English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a good term to denote someone who is obsessed with, or erudite in, geography?

share|improve this question
Perhaps a cartophile? That's not in my dictionary, but it feels ripe for coining even if it does not in fact exist. – Robusto Dec 16 '10 at 21:22
@Robusto: but wouldn't cartophile only imply an obsession with maps in particular? – Jimi Oke Dec 16 '10 at 23:39
@Jimi Oke: Well, 'geography' comes from the Greek for 'earth' + 'writing', so I can't imagine maps aren't central to the pursuit. – Robusto Dec 17 '10 at 0:39
This should be asked on the GIS forum, where the geographils hang out. – mickeyf Dec 17 '10 at 1:01
I think the properly constructed word would be geographomaniac (γεω = Earth, γράφειν = write, μανία = madness, frenzy, enthusiasm). – RegDwigнt Dec 17 '10 at 9:39
up vote 8 down vote accepted


Geographer on Wikipedia: A geographer is a scientist whose area of study is geography, the study of Earth's physical environment and human habitat.

I'd suggest that, while this doesn't exactly apply to obsessives, it certainly would apply to the erudite and those who are generally very interested in geography.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.