English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A dictionary contains word definitions.

A thesaurus contains words that mean the same (synonyms).

I'm looking for a name for a word dictionary that will give you rhymes (or "sounds like") of a word.

For example: rhyme -> crime, prime

or, "rhyme" with "lunchtime".

What is this called and are there dictionaries or software or databases that contain these linkages? I'm aware (for computer programmers) there is an ability in MySQL to run a sounds like query.

share|improve this question
A rhyming dictionary? – Mitch May 27 '12 at 1:01
Sorry, but “rhyme” does not with “lunchtime” rhyme. Wrong stress. – tchrist May 27 '12 at 23:42

Like Mitch says, you're probably looking for a Rhyming Dictionary.

You can find many Rhyming Dictionaries over the internet. Rhyme Zone is a particularly good one, since it groups results into syllables, which can be helpful for poetry writing or any similar activity.

A google search of Rhyming Dictionary software could get you something useful, although most of the software I found cost money, so you may have a bit of trouble there.

share|improve this answer
Yes, that’s the one I always use; I like it a lot. But is “RD” software research and development, or rhyming dictionaries, or what? I think you should not use an abbreviation like that in your answer; it’s confusing. – tchrist May 27 '12 at 1:43
Oh, my apologies. RD stands for "Rhyming Dictionary." – Zolani13 May 27 '12 at 1:48

It is called a homophone and there are homophone dictionaries. You can go to a rhyming dictionary and choose homophone in the drop down.

share|improve this answer

An International Thesaurus contains words that have similar meanings after the original format of Roget where you look up words in the alphabetical index to find groups of words with similar meanings.

Most common today are dictionary thesaurus that let you look up specific words but have limited ability to find new words.

A rhyming dictionary lets you look up words based on vowel sounds and consonants that follow the vowel.

I'm not sure what type you need?

share|improve this answer

I will offer a slightly more Information Technology-based answer.

SOUNDEX:Soundex is a phonetic algorithm for indexing names by sound, as pronounced in English. The goal is for homophones to be encoded to the same representation so that they can be matched despite minor differences in spelling.


dictionary here:


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.