Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There are many words that are spelled the same but have different meanings due to development of polysemy over time from an original etymology.

Are there any word pairs in English that have the same spelling but have separate origins?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by RegDwigнt May 26 '12 at 16:22

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Of course. Tons. Yard and yard, go and go, leaves and leaves... The Wikipedia article on homonyms mentions four different flukes, expressly pointing out that they have separate etymologies. –  RegDwigнt May 26 '12 at 16:19
I don't think this kind of question is condoned here. But on top of my head, how about "swallow", "die", "rest". –  Mr Lister Jan 4 '13 at 7:32
How about pan v. - to follow with a camera (traces to Latin pan- (all) while pan v. - to pan for gold traces to Latin patina. –  Jim Jan 4 '13 at 7:42
Check a list of homonyms. –  Hugo Jan 4 '13 at 7:57