English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a verb and also a phrasal verb to describe to gradually feel less of an emotion (anger) over a period of time to the point of almost non-existent?

For example: John was ridiculed by Dave during class, making him want to punch Dave out, but at the time it was inconvenient to do so. By the time class is over his anger has already ___ and he no longer wanted to give him a beating.

share|improve this question
For this particular case I would use "cooled", but that doesn't apply to all emotions. – JeffSahol May 26 '12 at 1:33
I like the informality of it. Is there a phrasal verb that can apply to this? – Theo May 26 '12 at 2:14
After he cooled off, he no longer... After he cooled down, ... – JeffSahol May 26 '12 at 2:57
up vote 5 down vote accepted

dissipate: "(with reference to a feeling or emotion) disappear or cause to disappear"

share|improve this answer

In the context of your example (with some tense changes), especially when referring to anger, I would use "By the time class was over, his anger had already subsided".

share|improve this answer

I would say diminished or died out.

share|improve this answer

Dissipated works for this purpose. Merriam-Webster defines the word to mean "to cause to spread thin or scatter and gradually vanish." It's often used in reference to feelings and also to the loss of energy as in "the heat from the car dissipated after parking in the shade" or "his anger dissipated as the situation became clear."

share|improve this answer

I would say that abated fits here.

share|improve this answer

Emotional blunting is a phrase commonly used in psychiatric/mental health circles. the phrase is emotional blunting" is used to describe someone who either doesn't show 'appropriate' levels of emotion due to a mental disorder like schizophrenia, or who shows less emotion due to trauma.

share|improve this answer

Waned, faded, eased, vanished, dissolved, melted away

Any synonym of "faded" should do the trick.

share|improve this answer

I would also consider ebb, eddy, or wane.

share|improve this answer
Ebb and wane are nice, but where do you get eddy? – Daniel Jul 9 '12 at 21:11
I don't understand the question. The usage I'm sugesting here would be simile with the tide.. ? Are you asking for a literary quote? – M Yui Jul 9 '12 at 21:25
No, I'm asking why you think eddy can be used to mean the same as ebb and wane. Eddy means to move at variance with the main current in a stream of liquid, especially in a rotary motion (modified from Dictionary.com). – Daniel Jul 9 '12 at 21:27
Hmmm, well, I think I may have gotten it from Shakespeare. Something about the eddy of the tide of somebodies pride... being forced back out to .. sorry. It doesn't seem to want to google and I can't remember it. – M Yui Jul 9 '12 at 21:37
Well, it doesn't fit. – Daniel Jul 9 '12 at 21:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.