English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can't seem to find the word that refers to this:

What is this called?

I usually end up saying "bunch of garlic" and have to explain "the garlic bunch before you peel the cloves apart".

What is it called?

share|improve this question
When I was young I had an Agatha Christie jigsaw puzzle and "whodunnit" book set. The book detailed a murder most foul and you had to deduce who the killer was. The vital clue was in the solved jigsaw puzzle. The clue was that the killer had two heads of garlic sitting in a bowl instead of the two cloves the recipe called for, therefore he couldn't have been a trained chef, which eliminated one of the two suspects. – Optimal Cynic Jul 5 '11 at 18:31
up vote 54 down vote accepted

This question is already amply answered, but just for those who are more visually-oriented:

A clove of garlic
alt text

A head/bulb of garlic
alt text

A string of garlic
alt text

share|improve this answer
+1 I wish I could give you more rep for your Garlic Gallery... – CJM Dec 16 '10 at 12:48
@CJM, thanks. gim FTW :) – Benjol Dec 16 '10 at 13:09
great visual answer – IAdapter Jan 6 '11 at 12:12
+1 for the visuals! :) – Paul Amerigo Pajo Jul 1 '11 at 4:01

A head of garlic is the usual term. Bulb of garlic is also sometimes used, but not usually in a culinary sense.

share|improve this answer
+1 I wholeheartedly agree. head proved elusive as I groped to recall the answer. bulb is certainly rarely used in everyday language but more in scientific contexts. Your answer is particularly fitting in the OP's context. – Jimi Oke Dec 16 '10 at 5:31
I use 'bulb', and only in a culinary sense (beyond warding off vampires what else is there?), but then again, that would explain a lot about my cooking - it is rather 'agricultural'! – CJM Dec 16 '10 at 12:49
I’ve always used bulb for garlic in the culinary setting! Could this a BrE/AmE thing? (I’m BrE; it looks from his/her profile like @CJM is a Brit too; whereas @nohat and @Jimi are both AmE speakers, right?) – PLL Jan 13 '11 at 5:57
I would agree that in AmE, a head of garlic is what you add to a very big batch of tomato sauce, whereas a bulb of garlic is what you plant in your back yard. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Dec 22 '13 at 0:13

Here are some Google NGram graphs showing the relative usages of head vs bulb of garlic:

  1. American

enter image description here

  1. British

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Cool - very imformative, too! – Ramon Tayag Jul 6 '11 at 11:10
The spikes sure are interesting. Why is garlic usage so apparently cyclical in Britain, no matter the term used? And what explains the huge intercontinental surge in the 1990s? I guess this is one for historyofcooking.stackexchange.com.... – mattdm Apr 8 '15 at 15:24

The word you are looking for is bulb. More formally, it is called a "compound bulb" because the cloves themselves are actually bulbs, too. Nevertheless, "bulb" will do just fine. This word is also used in the same context for onions, shallots and other related plants.

share|improve this answer

Botanically speaking, what is popularly referred to as a head of garlic is actually a corm. Whereas the nutritive tissue is in the leaves in an onion bulb, the leaves of the corm are dry; the nutritive tissue (the part you eat) is in the stem. In fact, both corms and bulbs are underground nutritive stems. The difference lies in the exact location of the nutritive tissue.

share|improve this answer

Are you talking about a bulb of garlic?

share|improve this answer

It is referred to as a loaf of garlic by scholars. 35 year culinary experience. Working exclusively with loaves of garlic.

share|improve this answer
Garlic scholars may refer to it as a loaf (I wouldn't know—I've never even contemplated the existence of such a thing as scholars of garlic), but it is most certainly not a term used by anyone else. A loaf of garlic to me (and Google) is a strange shortening of ‘a loaf of garlic bread’. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Dec 22 '13 at 0:11
Perhaps it was meant as a pun, @JanusBahsJacquet. Clove of garlic = loaves of garlic? – Mari-Lou A Dec 22 '13 at 0:25

protected by tchrist Aug 13 '14 at 14:42

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.