English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word (Internet slang welcome) for "frequently editing a post to make it appear at the top of the forum"?

share|improve this question
I'd call it SEO. (Stack Exchange Optimization) ;-) – Jim May 22 '12 at 4:45
up vote 9 down vote accepted

The verb bump refers to editing a post and making it appear on the main page but it does not refer to the frequency. You may write for example

Users who frequently bump their posts might be doing it to gain more reputation. However I do it to improve the quality of my posts.

share|improve this answer
Thank you, sir! – user46874 May 22 '12 at 5:19
Regarding your example usage, is it really considered bumping if you edit your post to improve its quality? – user46874 May 22 '12 at 5:21
If your idea is not to really bump it for bump's sake, but a real edit, can we call it 'float'? – Kris May 22 '12 at 6:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.