English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What word can I use for a tower where security personnel stand to keep watch on an area?

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by TimLymington, simchona Aug 20 '12 at 22:17

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Could we have more context? How do you plan to use the word? In a medieval novel? A modern account of prison life? – Bobbi Bennett May 18 '12 at 17:21
up vote 7 down vote accepted

All along the watchtower

Princes kept the view


share|improve this answer

Lookout tower

Watch tower


share|improve this answer

Guard Tower is another useful symonym - it conveys a more spefically military meaning than watchtower or lookout post.

share|improve this answer

Still not a single word, but: sentry tower

share|improve this answer

Analogous to previously-suggested sentry tower, watchtower, and lookout tower is guard tower, "a general term for any military tower providing vigilance, and henceforth guarding a certain area". Some more-specific terms include barbican ("A tower at the entrance to a castle or fortified town", "A temporary wooden tower built for defensive purposes", etc.) and bartizan or bartisan ("A parapet with battlements projecting from the top of a tower in a castle or church") and of course turret.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.