English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Does it mean " Pressure Containing castings and Structural Castings" or "Pressure Containing-Structural Castings"?

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Kris, Matt E. Эллен, jwpat7, aedia λ, simchona May 19 '12 at 0:21

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

We need more context, I feel. There is not enough information in the phrase to know either way. – Matt E. Эллен May 18 '12 at 9:33

Without more context it really can't be determined. But my best guess would be that it means the former:

pressure-containing castings and structural castings

Is this a section heading in a catalog?

share|improve this answer

The two terms are alternatives.

Pressure containing castings are designed to hold and confine higher pressures within.

Structural castings merely provide the strcture and cannot (be expected to) withstand high pressures.

The reference here is to the two different classes of products -- both of them.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.