English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
“Checking” vs. “chequing” vs. “chequeing” with regards to types of bank accounts
Do we ask for check or cheque in restaurants?

I believe the original spelling for it was cheque, but when used in context of an account, it appears to the the form of check. Are these two words interchangeable or is there some background story as the two spellings?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by jwpat7, Kris, aedia λ, tchrist, Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 May 18 '12 at 12:43

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

@jwpat7 Only partially, but thanks for pointing it out. But in the british financial instrument context, is it still called a "checking account". – hydroparadise May 17 '12 at 20:41
Which is at variance with Tim Lymington's answer. (?) – Kris May 17 '12 at 20:45
@jwpat7 Ok, you win. I've duped. – hydroparadise May 17 '12 at 20:45
... only if color and colour are interchangeable when you tell your bank what you want your checks/cheques to look like. – GEdgar May 18 '12 at 0:38
up vote 5 down vote accepted

In British English, cheque is the only spelling for the financial instrument; what you get in a restaurant is the bill. In American English, check is used for both.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.