English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to title an application button that moves an image 90 degrees clockwise/anticlockwise.

Which of the following fits better?

  • Spin image
  • Rotate image
share|improve this question
If possible, I'd use an icon that shows the meaning, avoiding language ambiguity. – Fuhrmanator May 17 '12 at 17:11
In these technical terms, we don't have much choice but to follow standards and conventions, or the user will not understand us correctly. – Kris May 17 '12 at 17:11
@Fuhrmanator Yes, there are icons for both 'Rotate CW' and 'Rotate CCW'. – Kris May 17 '12 at 17:39
There is no one right answer, So I don't think this is a constructive question. – Matt E. Эллен May 18 '12 at 9:33
up vote 5 down vote accepted


That is the correct and standard word.

Rotate can be used for a turn that is less than, equal to or more than 360°. Spin usually implies more than one full turn around -- even many turns at high speed.

share|improve this answer
Thank you very much! – Tom May 17 '12 at 18:25
To me, "Spin" also has a connotation that is perhaps best expressed in physics terms as "impart angular momentum", i.e. when you let go of the object, it keeps moving around its axis. So for example you spin a wheel to see where it stops (due to friction), but you rotate a wheel to position one of its spokes pointing northward. – Hellion May 17 '12 at 18:34
Nice to be of help, @Tom. Welcome to ELU! – Kris May 17 '12 at 19:22
@Hellion Yes, that's true. Think 'spin' bowling in cricket. – Kris May 17 '12 at 19:24

Spin means to rotate quickly, implying that it will rotate through more than 90 degrees. I'd say "rotate".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.