English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Which word can I use to describe too much light, i.e., when I have switched on 3 bulbs while there was a need for only 1 bulb?

share|improve this question
Any reason why you couldn't simply say overly bright? Does it need to be a single word? Just curious. – J.R. May 16 '12 at 1:34
I hadn’t realized that Thesaurus vulgaris had gone extinct. I’m sure he would have settled this question right away. – tchrist May 16 '12 at 3:13
up vote 6 down vote accepted

If the light is too bright, you might use terms dazzling or glaring. If instead you refer to cost of running several bulbs, say extravagant or wasteful.

share|improve this answer

The light is blinding if excessive light, and not excessive power bills, is what bothers you.

share|improve this answer


The place has been overlit: it has been provided with more than the required amount of lighting (intensity), such as an overlit stadium for an all-night match.

share|improve this answer

If positive: brilliant

If negative: glaring, blinding

share|improve this answer
As a noun, you'd use brilliance. – Jez May 17 '12 at 14:54

Excessive does it for me. The effect, if dazzling or glaring, or the power consumption, if extravagant or wasteful, might lead to different choices (q.v.), but if it's simply a matter of more light than was needed or desirable, then ...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.