Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Which word can I use to describe random nonsense sounds like 'aaaa', 'papa' etc. from a child who still cannot speak.

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Two words are generally used to describe baby talk (the definitions are from Chambers):

  • Prattle — "(of a young child) to utter baby-talk"
  • Babble — "to speak like a baby"
share|improve this answer
+1 You could include links to corresponding entries from Chambers online as well, for completeness. –  Kris May 15 '12 at 16:59
Though "prattle" is usually used to mean "chatter" and isn't common as a technical term, I don't think. –  Neil Coffey May 15 '12 at 18:49

For sounds like 'aaaa,' I would say cooing.

Sounds like 'mama,' I would say babbling.

I would probably avoid prattling because it is also used to mean annoying, incessant talking.

share|improve this answer
Agree that "prattle" tends to be used in reference to chatty adults. –  Bill Lefurgy May 21 '12 at 23:57

Babble fits your description. It can be used as a noun or verb.

share|improve this answer
@RegDwight - thanks for changing the backticks for italics. Just for future reference, is there a standard to follow as far as which one to use when? –  dj18 May 15 '12 at 14:35

If the baby is repeating sounds then it's echolalia.
Only tangetially related to your question I know, but I like the word.

share|improve this answer
interesting. I only knew this word as related to the disorder. –  Karl May 16 '12 at 5:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.