English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How should I pronounce the word reduct as a noun?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by tchrist, Mahnax, Matt E. Эллен, cornbread ninja 麵包忍者, waiwai933 Aug 28 '12 at 20:40

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Where is reduct used as a noun? – Matt E. Эллен May 14 '12 at 14:18
There is no noun form of reduct in any English usage I'm aware of. The verb form barely exists and is pretty much archaic at this point. Possibly you want the word reduction? – chaos May 14 '12 at 14:23
Or maybe "reductant," which refers to a chemical agent? – Kit Z. Fox May 14 '12 at 14:34
In maths and chemistry, according to the OED. – Roaring Fish May 14 '12 at 14:36
What did the dictionary say to do? Surely this is a textbook case of a general reference question, no? – tchrist May 14 '12 at 15:56
up vote 10 down vote accepted

This might help, from OED

reduct, n.

Pronunciation: Brit. /rᵻˈdʌkt/ , U.S. /rəˈdək(t)/ , /riˈdək(t)/

The meaning of reduct as a noun is:

  1. Math. and Logic.

a. A number, logical form, etc., obtained by reducing another

b. A mathematical or logical structure derived from a given structure by disregarding some of the operations and relations of the latter.

  1. Chem. A substance which restores a metal to an unchanged or metallic state.
share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.