English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for a word to describe the big logo sign that one normally can see in front of a headquarters building, for example here:

XEROX Parc street sign

I tried to google the words people use for this sign, but found nothing but "a sign".

share|improve this question
A graphic designer might tell you that’s a wordmark rather than a logo, but either way I don’t know of any specific name for that type of sign. – Brian Nixon May 13 '12 at 10:53
@BrianNixon: A wordmark is a kind of logo. – Henry May 13 '12 at 14:48
up vote 8 down vote accepted

In the sign business, these are called monument signs.

share|improve this answer
+1 for bullseye! – Kris May 13 '12 at 17:35
If placed at the entrance to a business, city, or subdivision, they are more specifically called entrance monument signs. – JLG May 14 '12 at 3:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.