English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There’s a word I’m trying to recall, it means something such as “extra pieces of fabric hanging from clothing.” I believe it ends with -gibles or -gables, and perhaps it starts with im- or ex-, and it’s a noun. I’ve spent the last hour trying to figure it out.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by RegDwigнt Aug 16 '12 at 15:43

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Are you after a word for extra bits that are added as embellishment? Or pieces that are coming off due to it becoming worn? I'm guessing the former, but never hurts to check.. – tanantish May 12 '12 at 9:31
Haberdasher-it-all! This question does need to be clarified a bit. After all, you could looking for an obscure word meaning very ornate embellishments, like the hoods on graduation gowns, or you could just be looking for the word fringe. Either one qualifies as "extra pieces of fabric hanging from clothing." – J.R. May 12 '12 at 11:07

The closest thing I can think of is fandangle, which describes an embellishment or ornament that is used simply for decoration and has no other purpose.

share|improve this answer
up vote 0 down vote accepted

I don't deserve any points for answering my own question, let alone a such a vague one. I finally realised the word I was trying to figure out was accoutrements.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.