English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There's a word for cheap manufactured art but I can't remember it and it's almost impossible to search for a word like that. Does anyone know what it is off the top of their head?

share|improve this question
Could it be a knockoff? – user11550 May 11 '12 at 23:09
Or kitsch? Any hints, like how long it was or what letter it started with? – RegDwigнt May 11 '12 at 23:19
@RegDwight: I usually understand kitsch as pre-war cheap mass-produced "art-deco". Post-war we had pop-art, and nowadays I suppose it's bling. – FumbleFingers May 11 '12 at 23:28
I'd like to use it to describe these worthless junk art images that keep getting shared on fb – Chris May 11 '12 at 23:34

Kitsch might just possibly be the word.

share|improve this answer

Tat is the word I use, though imprecisely.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.