English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an expression for the situation where you've just fixed something, only to find out that your fix broke something else? So you fix that something else, and another thing breaks. And so on and so forth?

Totally inspired by my current work at my job.

share|improve this question
The technical term is life. And only ends with death. – RegDwigнt May 3 '12 at 15:53
+1 This is fun! I mean, finding a word, not the predicament. – Kris May 3 '12 at 16:00
I had a friend who used to call this type of situation "irrefixable." – Kit Z. Fox May 3 '12 at 16:48
@KitFox That'd be, if the same thing kept breaking down, instead. – Kris May 3 '12 at 16:58
Let me guess: you work in software? – J.R. May 3 '12 at 17:57

The software industry term of art for the basic fix-causes-breakage phenomenon is regression. Hence the derived term regression testing, in which one is testing whether any fixes one made broke something else.

The ongoing chain isn't commonly discussed, but cascade regression immediately comes to mind to describe it.

share|improve this answer

If I want to sound like a super nerd, I might say

iteratively concealed problem unfolding

Since you are not looking for one word, I believe the you could use it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.