English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Please see the following sentence:

Detaching itself from the main body of traffic, a lone auto-rickshaw drew up near Porus, the driver leaning out expectantly.

Looking at http://tfd.com/leaning I can see it only as a noun and an adjective but not a verb.

Is this not a verb in this sentence?

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by RegDwigнt Apr 29 '12 at 14:20

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

In most simple terms, leaning is a verb form, like "leaned" or "leans", and most dictionaries won't have a separate entry on those. You should check the main entry, "lean". – RegDwigнt Apr 29 '12 at 14:14

It's a verb, but a non-finite one, like detaching at the beginning of the sentence.

share|improve this answer
non finite verb is different from in-transitive verb ? – teenup Apr 29 '12 at 6:10
@poorenglish: No, a non-finite verb is one that is not marked for tense or person. – Barrie England Apr 29 '12 at 6:16
can you explain a bit more ? "not marked for tense" means ? – teenup Apr 29 '12 at 6:18
@poorenglish: A form like 'walks' tells us that the person walking is neither you nor me, but someone else, referred to in grammatical terms as 'third person'. It also tells us that the verb is in the present tense. That's why we say it's marked for tense and person. A form like 'walking', on the other hand, tells us nothing about tense or person, so it's not marked for these. (If you have difficulty with these concepts, you need to consult a grammar book or an English teacher. You can't expect to fully understand them from a few comments here, unfortunately.) – Barrie England Apr 29 '12 at 6:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.